Yes. As strange as it may sound, air conditioning can exaggerate hair loss. Here’s how!
We already know that extreme temperatures can damage the hair. As distressing as it is to walk into a cool room right after being out in the hot sun, the continuous use of air conditioners can do more harm to your hair than good. It can actually inflict havoc on your hair and scalp.
HOW DOES AIR CONDITIONING CAUSE HAIR LOSS?
- The room is parched and dry when the air conditioner is running, which means that the humidity from the air is sucked away. They have the tendency to peel away any moisture not just the one in the air but in your body too.
- When moisture is pulled out of the skin, it dries up and stretches.
- Our body is not protected enough to combat dryness due to air conditioning.
- Just like our skin, Scalp also dries up due to air conditioning and aggravates skin disorders.
- As a result, there is a constant loss of water and lack of replacement of the water that leaves skin tissues undernourished
- When you walk out of the cold environment back into the sun, the hair, scalp, and skin are greeted with abrupt changes in temperatures – which is extremely harmful.
- As a result of all of the above, the skin on the skin is constantly stressed out and struggling to maintain its own health.
- With our day-to-day lifestyle, we also compromise our diet that further leads to a lack of vital nutrients and hair loss.
The following tips can help lessen the damaging effects of air-conditioning:
- Minimize the exposure of the hair to AC.
If your workplace is fully air-conditioned, allow your scalp and hair to recover moisture by going outdoors once in a while or avoiding AC at home.
- Drink plenty of water.
Water is easily absorbed by the body and is crucial to keep the hair hydrated. Drinking plenty of water and keep you hydrated constantly when you are in an air-conditioned room even if you are not thirsty – take a sip of water at constant intervals.
- Place a bowl of water nearby.
Because air conditioners pull out the moisture from the surrounding, placing a bowl of water nearby is a simple way to reduce the AC’s drying effect unto the hair.
- Remind yourself to refill all the lost water by indulging in fluids.
- Have a healthy and balanced diet to keep the hair and scalp healthy within the range of comfort good. It can actually inflict havoc on your hair and scalp.